About the SANS Technology Institute (sans.edu)
The SANS Institute (SANS.org) is the world’s largest and most trusted provider of cybersecurity training, certification, and research. The SANS Technology Institute (SANS.edu) is the independent, regionally accredited, VA-approved subsidiary of SANS, founded in 2006 to develop technically capable leaders for the information security profession. With over 1000 students enrolled in its programs, and annual student growth in excess of 35%, SANS.edu ranks as one of the top programs in cybersecurity.
Our academic programs are unique, augmenting training and certification content from SANS with courses that develop crucial non-technical skills. Students may choose to take courses online, in person, or a mix of both. The school operates year-round admissions, with multiple application windows, and enrolled students can progress at their own pace, unconstrained by fixed academic semesters.
Students choose SANS.edu because of our world class SANS instructors and courses, the ability to earn industry recognized certifications during our programs, and the flexibility of the program to fit their work and personal lives.
Join the SANS Technology Institute Team
At sans.edu, our culture is defined by Mission, Brand, People. Our goal is to hire people who understand the importance of continuing to fight against cyber security threats (Mission) while delivering the highest quality training (Brand) to our students. We want employees whose personal values align well with our culture of fairness, honesty, customer focus, and pragmatic approach (People).
Summary of Position
We are seeking a Student Advisor to join our team within the SANS Technology Institute business unit. The Student Advisor will be responsible for managing and mentoring a caseload of students. The student advisor will guide students in understanding degree requirements and will coach students through individual courses. The Student Advisor will perform administrative tasks involved with managing student enrollments and records.
- Serve as primary contact person, manager, and advocate for assigned students.
- Create an academic plan for new students, taking into consideration academic requirements and student preferences.
- Maintain regular contact with students regarding individual course requirements, academic standing and progress, and overall academic planning for degree completion.
- Manage students’ enrollments within SANS.edu systems using defined processes and policies.
- Resolve student questions regarding administrative issues.
- Provide a level of service that is responsive, timely, and accurate.
- Participate in bi-weekly meetings with the team, providing updates regarding special projects and student advising related issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 2-3 years of professional experience, preferably in higher education advising
- Experience in a customer service role
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proven problem-solving abilities
- Adept with using software systems and willing to learn new products and technologies
- Ability and confidence to work independently using sound judgment, as well as a commitment to working as part of a team
- Master’s degree
- Experience with Canvas, Salesforce, or other higher education platforms
This position reports to a Senior Student Advisor and has no direct reports.
Remote work environment. Travel required up to twice a year for in person meetings.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SANS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact SANS Human Resources.
Related Jobs (89)
Part Time Assistant Professor, School of Business – Accounting on November 24, 2022 Remote