Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision by demonstrating effective and consistent commitment to learner-centered, competency-based educational support.
- Provides expertise in assigned content area and maintains current knowledge in their field.
- Fosters student learning through innovative, effective teaching practices.
- Responds with urgency to meet student needs and communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Offers timely support and outreach to students.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in the development of competencies.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Participates in all required training activities.
- Responds with urgency to changing requirements, priorities, and short deadlines.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as the position evolves.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to customize instructional support for learners with a variety of needs and educational backgrounds.
- Must demonstrate technological competency: Proficiency in Microsoft Office (or similar) applications, virtual instructional platforms, and student management systems.
- Extraordinary customer service orientation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking and writing style.
- Well organized – conscientious and detail oriented.
- Ability to use data to make decisions.
- Strong understanding, acceptance, adherence, and promotion of the tenets of competency-based education in the WGU model.
Organizational or Student Impact:
- Accountable for decisions that impact individual students.
- Creates or facilitates learning experiences that support students ‘attainment of knowledge and skills.
- With specific guidance from senior faculty and program leaders, acts independently in executing teaching practice.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Works on diverse matters of limited complexity
- This position receives general direction from their immediate supervisor or manager.
- Able to effectively utilize resources to address student concerns and inquiries.
- Supports student needs to help them achieve course or program outcomes at the individual student level.
- Individual follows university and department established policies and best practices.
Communication & Influence:
- Communicates with students as appropriate to support student questions and needs.
- This role communicates with fellow faculty members as appropriate within and outside of the department.
- Expected to provide feedback regarding discipline and practice leadership.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Considered a contributing and collegial team member.
- Individual adheres to learning and operational quality guidance and instructions.
- Supports initiatives within the area of specialty.
- Displays a positive attitude toward change and supports change management practices.
- Doctorate, or terminal degree in a specific content area. Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience providing student support and instruction in Software Development (Java, Spring).
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse learner profiles.
- Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends).
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Separate qualifications and/or licensure may be required for some degree programs.
- State and/or federal legislative requirements and/or college accreditation requirements may apply to maintain the necessary credentialing for this role.
- Qualifications and/or licensure/certifications vary by degree programs.
Strong experience with distance education and distance learning students is preferred.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
We are committed to diversity.
Related Jobs (109)
Assistant Registrar of Curriculum Alignment and Data Management I on August 3, 2022 Remote
Online Adjunct Faculty – Undergraduate Healthcare Administration on August 3, 2022 Remote