Job Type: Full time
Job Number: JR-009429
Location: Home OfficeIf you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Western Governors University (WGU) is an innovative, 100% on-line, 100% accredited, non-profit university. WGU relies on having great technology, great design, and a great user experience. WGU has pioneered an innovative learning model, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is committed to helping their students succeed.
WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. Working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
About our Team
The team you will be working with is called CCS, which stands for Communities, Career and Social. Our responsibilities include writing and supporting the Student Portal and associated back-end services. While we each have strong skills in our particular roles, we are a high functioning team and collaborate and assist with other team roles as needed. We also collaborate assist other teams to ensure they meet their deliverables and University wide goals. Our primary responsibility is to the students and our internal customers, and we do all we can to provide quality tools to help students achieve their education goals.
General Position Summary
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the research, design, development, analysis, testing, and implementation of software and application systems. They communicate project information to multiple partners and departments. They write comprehensive handoff documentation. They support team members and ensures established goals and deadlines are met. Keeps team members informed about status and significant problems and includes external teams as appropriate.
- Java 11+/JavaEE
- Developing web services using Java, XML, HTTP, and other web technologies
- Understanding SOAP, REST, and CRUD methodologies
- Spring and Spring Boot
- Skilled at writing documentation and Wiki articles in Confluence
- Agile methodologies
- Cooperate with architects and other engineers
- Third party software and integrations
- Ability to communicate technical concepts with non-technical business partners
- Triage and debug software applications
- Stay current with language and technology changes
- Understanding of SQL (Oracle, MySQL)
- Writing and understanding REST APIs
- Ability to take a 24×7 on-call rotation, and willingness to assist with service outages as needed
- Front End framework/languages – Angular 9+, Java Script/Type Script, NodeJS
- Developing in a cloud environment, preferably AWS
- CI/CD, deployment with code pipelines
- Familiarity with asynchronous development
- Test Driven Design, Unit, and E2E testing
- REST API experience with OpenAPI/Swagger, API versioning, API gateways/forwarders and OAUTH2
- Subject matter expert in the area of responsibility or has extensive knowledge of several technical areas.
- Typically requires a technical university degree or equivalent experience.
- 6 years of prior relevant experience.
- Advanced degrees (Master’s or PhD) may be required for certain disciplines and reduce the experience requirement by 2-4 years.
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience and a proven track record in developing web-based applications and web services using Java, SOAP, REST, XML, and other web technologies, including experience interfacing with Oracle databases, and integrating third party products with existing infrastructure.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
We are committed to diversity.
Related Jobs (13)
Online Full-Time Faculty – Computer Science – Associate Professor on July 19, 2022 Remote
Online – CIS – Cyber and Network Security Graduate Adjunct Faculty on July 19, 2022 Remote