The University of Pittsburgh’s Information Technology (Pitt IT) department is seeking a qualified Senior Cloud Engineer for the Operations division. This is an advanced technical position to enable us to modernize and consolidate IT infrastructure, automate workloads, and pursue provisioning of self-service cloud offerings. The incumbent will implement, administer and maintain various cloud-based, enterprise IT services, and other mission critical technology systems. Responsible for ensuring continuity of service for enterprise systems and services on multi-cloud, Windows, and Linux platforms. Duties include strategy, design, automation, implementation and operational support for repeatable services and self-service offerings as IT enterprise services within virtualization, server-less computing, server-based computing, and storage on multi-cloud, windows, and Linux platforms. The incumbent will coordinate, orchestrate, and automate cloud solutions, and system technologies upgrades, as well as monitor system performance and network connectivity as it relates to enterprise IT service infrastructure.
The incumbent will also communicate and collaborate with co-workers, stakeholders, and customers toward the resolution of problems and requests within enterprise IT services and platforms. The position is challenged with ensuring maximum availability and highest level of performance for production and other mission critical technology systems.
Must have the ability to design, implement, and make available repeatable services and self-service offerings as IT enterprise services leveraging both on-premises and cloud systems. These solutions will be automated and built to scale out.
The incumbent will need to design, build, implement and deliver scalable cloud solutions in multi-cloud environments with experience in one Cloud platform required (AWS or Azure recommended) with hands-on experience (three years minimum) and ability to:
- Deploy cloud based infrastructures and migrate workloads, employing “infrastructure as code” techniques. Design, deploy and configure IaaS and PaaS services and solutions.
- Understand core cloud networking fundamentals including VPC/Virtual Network, VPN Gateway, Route 53/Azure DNS, Application Gateway/Firewall/WAF, Network Load Balancers, and other core technologies.
- Strong cloud compute and storage skills including EC2/VM, ECS/CI, EKS/AKS/GKE, S3/Azure File/GCS/etc.
- Leverage GitHub, Markup (YAML, JSON), ARM Templates/CloudFormation (and/or Ansible, and/or Terraform)
- Knowledge of scripting languages, markup languages above, automation and deployment tools, such as PowerShell (and/or Bash, and/or Python)
Combination of education, experience and/or industry certifications will be considered in lieu of listed education/experience levels.
Experience in complex systems analysis, enterprise IT services, and design in addition to administrative experience. IT experience administering and maintaining cloud-based, IT enterprise services, and other mission critical technology systems for a large institution.