Job Type: Full time
Job Number: JR-010609
Location: Home OfficeIf you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Current WGU employees must submit an internal application before 5/21/2022 to be considered.
Job Profile Summary:
This position acts as the liaison between university departments and program development. Successfully manage the relationship between the departments and program development. Responsible for planning, organizing, monitoring analytics projects as well as building, and supporting data and predictive models. Ensures projects meet or exceed technical specifications, customer requirements, policies, budgets, and deadlines. Assembles, directs, coordinates, and assigns responsibilities to project team members. Ensures customers are well informed of area activities and significant problems.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Assumes responsibility for being the liaison between university departments and program development. Successfully manage the relationship between the department and IT.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, and task and workflow analysis.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Identify and assess both commercially-available and custom-developed solutions that meet university needs.
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the following artifacts as needed: Functional requirements (Business Requirements Document), Use Cases, User Stories, GUI, Screen and Interface designs.
- Successfully engage in and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Develop business case studies that identify alternatives, costs, and project plans.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, monitoring data analytics and operational efficiency projects.
- Meets with project sponsors and team members to gain understanding and knowledge of projects and to determine platforms, components, software applications, technologies, and security measures.
- Chooses appropriate technology from our group of supported platforms selected by business analysts and managers based on best practices and platform strengths. Clearly communicates constraints, conflicts, requirements, compatibility issues, and items which could affect project outcome, final performance level, or customer satisfaction. Offers appropriate alternatives and contingency plans.
- For large projects, identifies scope of project and develops documents outlining key project objectives, goals, plans, requirements, proposals, estimates, schedules, and budgets. Makes presentations, submits requests, and gains necessary approvals. Ensures estimates of time, cost, performance level, and materials are accurate and meet project requirements. Makes modifications to plans and schedules as necessary.
- Assists in assembling the project team. Makes suggestions for team members to departmental areas and IT managers who need to be involved. Gives estimates of time needed to design and test. Provides necessary training on project objectives, processes, and details.
- Successfully monitors project status and adherence to schedules, requirements, and deadlines. Communicates progress to appropriate personnel and/or project sponsors. Effectively manages and communicates design changes. Measures results and makes adjustments as necessary.
- Maintains accurate and complete records during the development process. Ensures related oral and electronic communications regarding project requirements, design changes, problems, solutions, etc. are securely maintained and readily available for review.
- Sets up and coordinates effective testing to evaluate system performance, fulfillment of project requirements, and elimination of bugs. Ensures test plans are well-documented, relevant to application, and in compliance with policies and procedures. Analyzes test results, identifies problems and conflicts, and provides solutions. Ensures problems are resolved quickly and effectively. Repeats testing as needed.
- Coordinates and manages creation of related documentation. Ensures accurate technical information is gathered and disseminated to technical writers. Ensures final documents are thoroughly reviewed, accurate, complete, and user friendly.
- Building and supporting efficiency initiatives and practices
- Supports implemented processes by working with users to identify necessary training, defects, or implementation defects/design flaws. Suggest or build solutions and coordinate testing and updates. Work with product support to solve complex issues.
- Stays current with product releases. Identifies needed upcoming functionality and coordinate test installation, testing plans, testing activities, and release opportunities. Works off hours during maintenance windows to be available for testing and assistance around upgrade activities.
- Be involved in community efforts around our updated systems and processes. Look to assist others who are struggling with questions we have solutions for. Learn and ask questions from the communities to ensure best practices and reduce repeated mistakes.
- Assumes responsibility for successfully launching finished processes and products.
- Ensure software applications are fully functional and meet established project requirements and deadlines. Obtains necessary final approvals and signatures according to established procedures.
- Ensures final versions of documentation and supporting materials are delivered to customers or project sponsors in a timely manner.
- Establishes processes for user support, training options, and customer feedback. Evaluates feedback and customer concerns and offers assistance and solutions as appropriate. Communicates updates, future releases, and upgrades.
- Works to ensure quality service and customer satisfaction with finished products and support services.
- Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining professional working relations and communication with customers, project sponsors, service providers, and outside contacts.
- Responds to phone calls, emails, pages, or messages in a professional and timely manner.
- Provides regular updates on status of projects. Communicates information to appropriate parties.
- Tracks and resolves problems promptly and effectively.
- Promotes goodwill and a positive image of the Company.
- Assumes responsibility for maintaining effective communication and coordination with Company personnel and with management.
- Maintains regular contact with IT executives, area managers, software developers, programmers, and other project personnel to obtain and covey information.
- Keeps management informed of projects, area activities, and any significant problems or concerns. Submits project reports as required.
- Works to achieve established goals and objectives.
- Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Ensures work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Stays informed of IT trends and developments.
- Completes special projects as assigned
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Excellent leadership and project management skills.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Ability to build consensus and motivate others.
- Strong oral and written communications abilities.
- Solid technical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to plan and meet schedules.
- Works to achieve operational targets with significant to major impact on department, Function, or Office results. May be responsible for managing large projects or processes within the department, function, or office.
- Performs work as directed with limited oversight.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Responsible for leveraging a systems-thinking approach, making moderate to significant improvements of processes, systems, and plans within the department, Function, or Office.
- Problems and issues faced are numerous and challenging, will require detailed information gathering and analysis. Problems typically affect multiple areas or specialties.
Communication & Influence:
- Collaborates cross-functionally with employees within and outside of the department. Typically has responsibility for communicating with parties external to the University.
- Works to influence parties within and outside the department, Function, or Office regarding policies, procedures, and practices.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Is responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to other employees in the department, Function, or Office. Responsible for managing projects involving delegation of work and review of others’ work products.
- Demonstrates the WGU leadership principles in all aspects of service to students, employees, and partners of WGU.
- 5+ years of experience with a bachelor’s degree, or 3+ years and a master’s degree, or a doctorate or terminal degree without experience .
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Be in good standing with the US Department of Education; No loans in default.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience with Anthology Student systems.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
We are committed to diversity.
Related Jobs (16)
Business Intel Architect – Eligible for Remote/Hybrid Work on June 23, 2022 Remote
Web Designer – External Relations – Part-Time Temporary (Remote) on June 23, 2022 Remote
Online Adjunct Faculty – Graphic Design and Media Arts on June 22, 2022 Remote