The Regional Admissions Manager, located in (or around) Houston, TX, will serve as a key member of the admissions team. This newly created position will creatively and energetically grow Michigan Tech’s footprint in several key markets, primarily focusing on Houston. This position will manage a territory critical to Michigan Tech’s aggressive national growth strategy. The ideal candidate is enthusiastic, self-motivated, and results-oriented with the ability to think creatively to implement new initiatives and foster relationships with students, parents, mentors, and other influencers in schools, communities, and organizations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
- Increase the number of students interested in Michigan Technological University through both tested and proven recruiting methods and non-traditional creative methods.
- Coordinate with the Associate Director of Admissions to develop and implement programming that will increase applications and yield from select territories across the United States, primarily focusing on Houston, with secondary markets throughout Texas and the southern United States.
- Visit high schools, community colleges, community based organizations, and generally be a part of recruiting efforts within the designated territory.
- Vigilantly work on yield activity throughout the late fall and early spring through event planning, personal outreach via phone, text and email, and creating opportunities for prospective students to visit campus.
- Assist with application review throughout the recruiting cycle.
- Be a significant part of Michigan Tech’s growing footprint throughout the United States by recruiting the next generation of talented Huskies.
- Foster relationships with key Michigan Tech alumni and alumni organizations within the designated territory to engage their support of student recruitment.
- Actively participate and be a part of a growing and very talented regional team by contributing ideas, work ethic, and team ethos day in/day out.
- Attend required staff meetings and retreats.
- Ensure a strong connection to campus by consistently expanding working knowledge of Michigan Tech and be able to present that knowledge in a meaningful way to prospective students and their families.
- Participate in conferences, workshops, and meetings that provide information or opportunities to assist in improving or increasing the effectiveness of recruitment and enrolling undergraduate students.
- Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work.
- Actively engage in University improvement initiatives.
- Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements): Bachelor’s degreeRequired Experience (minimum requirements)
- 2 years related work experience in undergraduate admissions, higher education student services, secondary education, sales, or closely related area
- Experience using personal computer and software packages including advanced features of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proven ability to solve problems using logic and reasoning
Desirable Education and/or Experience
- Master’s degree
- Experience building and expanding territories in a recruiting or sales environment
- Experience working in secondary or higher education in Houston
- Experience with undergraduate admissions and recruitment practices at a four-year institution
- Experience recruiting undergraduate students interested in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programs, as well as those interested in undersubscribed programs
- Fluency in a second language (preferably Spanish)
- Experience working within the CRM system Slate
- Understanding of financial aid practices within higher education
- Experience working independently with limited supervision
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
- Excellent oral/written communication, customer interaction, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to be highly self-motivated and work independently without direct supervision
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff
- Proven competence in managing multiple tasks and competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to give dynamic and engaging presentations to small and large groups
- Demonstrated ability, willingness, and enthusiasm to travel throughout the state and region
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including nights and occasional weekends
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and demonstrated ability to comply with Michigan Tech vehicle-use requirements
- Demonstrated ability to live or relocate within recruitment territory
- Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of Michigan Technological University and/or University procedures
- Ability to analyze data to drive recruitment strategy
- Demonstrated knowledge of secondary school and community college educational systems
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with students, parents, staff, advisors, teachers, and guidance/career counselors
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Demonstrated ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
- Employee Safety Overview
- Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
- Annual Data Security Training
- Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Related Jobs (68)
Interactive Learning Content Developer – WGU Academy on September 24, 2022 Remote
Financial Aid Officer (Hybrid -2 days remote/temp-hire) on September 24, 2022 Remote