Job Type: Part time
Job Number: JR-009773
Location: Home OfficeIf you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Internal candidates must apply by 6.23.22 in order to be considered for this role
Student learning is the primary responsibility of WGU faculty. This position will support Bachelor and Master of Education students. Program Mentors have specialized content expertise, which they use to coach and guide students through courses and programs. Program Mentors are assigned a group of students and are accountable for their students’ academic progress and success. Besides supporting students with content expertise, Program Mentors are experts in regards to the WGU model and services. Program Mentors help students learn to be successful learners. They are organized and show exemplary written and verbal communication skills.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision. The Program Mentor must demonstrate a high level of commitment effectively and consistently.
- Offers direct, comprehensive support, coaching, and guidance to a load of assigned students
- Provides WGU and program level expertise to students and maintains that expertise through ongoing development activities.
- Fosters student learning through innovative and motivational teaching and coaching practices.
- Responds with urgency to meet student needs and communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Monitors the progress of assigned students, and offers proactive support and outreach to those students.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in their academic progress.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Well organized – conscientious and thorough with detail
- Must demonstrate technological competency: Data entry, email, calendar, word processing, and database programs.
- Extraordinary customer service and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills, with the ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking and writing style.
– Verifiable master’s degree in a specific field from an accredited institution.
– Three years of teaching experience in a K-12 setting.
– Demonstrated ability to work with at-risk learners.
– Separate qualifications and/or licensure may be required for some degree programs.
– State and/or federal legislative requirement and/or college accreditation requirements may apply in order to maintain the necessary credentialing for this role.
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in higher education
- Travel/Commute: Works primarily from home in the continental U.S.
- Maintains a student-friendly schedule of 40 hours/week to include a mix of some day, evenings (5pm+) and weekend shift options.
– Arranges a set schedule with the supervisor based on the needs of WGU and its students, which is typically not flexible.
– Works primarily from home in the continental U.S. and is available to travel to a few possible meetings as required.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
We are committed to diversity.
Related Jobs (67)
HR and Finance Systems Analyst (Remote Opportunity) on June 24, 2022 Remote
Adjunct Instructor of Teaching English as a Second Language on June 24, 2022 Remote