Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Student learning is the primary responsibility of Western Governors University (WGU) faculty. Program Mentors have specialized content expertise, which they use to coach and guide students through courses and programs. Program Mentors are assigned a group of students and are accountable for their students’ academic progress and success. Besides supporting students with content expertise, Program Mentors are experts in regards to the WGU model and services. Program Mentors help students learn to be successful learners. They are organized and show exemplary written and verbal communication skills.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision.
- Demonstrates a high level of commitment effectively and consistently.
- Offers direct, comprehensive support, coaching and guidance to a load of assigned students and responds with urgency to meet student needs.
- Provides WGU and program level expertise to students and maintains that expertise through ongoing development activities.
- Fosters student learning through innovative and motivational teaching and coaching practices.
- Monitors the progress of assigned students and offers proactive support and outreach to those students.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in their academic progress.
- Communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Must be well organized, conscientious and thorough with detail.
- Possess technological competency, as data entry, emails, calendars, word processing, and database programs.
- Maintain extraordinary customer service and communication skills with a friendly and persuasive speaking and writing style.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and written communication skills, with an ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately.
- Verifiable applicable master’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Three years of K-12 experience providing student support and instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to work with at-risk learners.
- Licensure and experience teaching or serving in a SPED role in a K-12 setting.
- Maintains a student-friendly schedule of at least 40 hours/week to include a mix of some day, evenings (4pm+) and weekend shift options.
- Arranges a set schedule with the supervisor based on the needs of WGU and its students, which is typically not flexible.
- Works primarily from home in the continental U.S. and is available to travel to a few possible meetings as required.
This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
We are committed to diversity.
Related Jobs (109)
Assistant Registrar of Curriculum Alignment and Data Management I on August 3, 2022 Remote
Online Adjunct Faculty – Undergraduate Healthcare Administration on August 3, 2022 Remote