Key member of the utilization management team, and provides timely medical review of service requests that do not initially meet the applicable medical necessity guidelines. Routinely interacts with physicians, leadership and management staff, other Physician Clinical Reviewers (PCR), and health plan members and staff whenever a physician`s input is needed or required.
- Directs daily involvement in the utilization management functions.
- Reviews all cases in which clinical determinations cannot be made by the Initial Clinical Reviewer.
- Discusses determinations with requesting physicians or ordering providers, when available, within the regulatory time frame of the request by phone or fax.
- Provides clinical rationale for standard and expedited initial determinations and/or appeals.
- Provides assistance and act as a resource to Initial Clinical Reviewers as needed to discuss cases and problems.
- Utilizes medical/clinical review guidelines and parameters to assure consistency in the MD review process so as to reflect appropriate utilization and compliance with SBU`s policies/procedures, as well as URAC and NCQA guidelines.
- Ensures documentation of all communications with medical office staff and/or MD provider is recorded in a timely and accurate manner.
- Participates in on-going training per inter-rater reliability process.
- Assists the VP, Medical Affairs in research activities/questions related to the Utilization Management process, interpretation, guidelines and/or system support.
- On a requested basis, reviews appeal cases and/or attends hearings for discussion of utilization management decisions.
- On a requested basis, may function as Medical Director for select health plans or regions, assuming overall accountability for utilization management while working in conjunction with the VP, Medical Affairs.
Other Job Requirements
- Current, unrestricted license to practice medicine or chiropractic in one or more states of the United States.
- Board Certified by one of the following: American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), American Board of Osteopathic Specialties (ABOS), American Board of Internal Medicine
or American Board of Osteopathic Internal Medicine (ABIM/ABOIM).
- Familiarity with the principles and procedures of utilization management as practiced in managed care organizations, experience with cost benefit analysis, quality assurance and the continuous quality improvement process is desirable.
General Job Information
DO (Required), MD (Required)
License and Certifications – Required
DO – Physician, State Licensure and Board Certified (ABMS or Specialty Board) – Physician, MD – Physician, State Licensure and Board Certified (ABMS or Specialty Board) – Physician
License and Certifications – Preferred
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Related Jobs (43)
Medical Review Auditor Analyst II on November 26, 2020
Payment Card Fraud Call Center II on November 26, 2020
Supervisor, Customer Service (Specialty Pharmaceuticals, Inbound) – Remote/WFH on November 26, 2020 Remote
Supervisor, Customer Service (Specialty Pharmaceuticals, Inbound) – Remote/WFH on November 23, 2020 Remote