Job Type: Full time
Job Number: JR-010893
Location: Home OfficeIf you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
CURRENT WGU EMPLOYEES MUST SUBMIT AN INTERNAL APPLICATION BEFORE 6/21/2022 TO BE CONSIDERED
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision by demonstrating effective and consistent commitment to learner-centered, competency-based educational support.
- Responsible to monitor the course progress of an assigned group of learners in their course(s) and proactively offer support at key points of the student journey.
- Provides expertise in assigned content area and maintains current knowledge in their field.
- Fosters student learning through innovative, effective teaching practices.
- Responds with urgency to meet student needs and communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Offers timely support and outreach to students, including meeting service level agreements as outlined by their department.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in the development of competencies.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Participates in all required training activities.
- Responds with urgency to changing requirements, priorities, and short deadlines.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as the position evolves.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to customize instructional support for learners with a variety of needs and educational backgrounds.
- Must demonstrate technological competency: Proficiency in Microsoft Office (or similar) applications, virtual instructional platforms, and student management systems.
- Extraordinary customer service orientation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking and writing style.
- Well organized – conscientious and thorough with detail.
- Ability to use data to make decisions.
- Strong understanding, acceptance, adherence and promotion of the tenets of competency-based education in the WGU model.
Organizational or Student Impact:
- Accountable for decisions that impact individual students.
- Creates or facilitates learning experiences that support students’ attainment of knowledge and skills.
- With specific guidance from senior faculty and program leaders, acts independently in executing teaching practice.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Works on diverse matters of limited complexity.
- Receives general direction from their immediate supervisor or manager.
- Effectively utilizes resources to address student concerns and inquiries.
- Supports student needs to help them achieve course or program outcomes at the individual student level.
- Follows university and department established policies and best practices.
Communication & Influence:
- Communicates with students as appropriate to support student questions and needs.
- Communicates with fellow faculty members as appropriate within and outside of the department.
- Provides feedback regarding discipline and practice leadership.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Serves as a contributing and collegial member of teams.
- Adheres to learning and operational quality guidance and instructions.
- Supports initiatives within the area of specialty.
- Displays a positive attitude toward change and supports change management practices.
* Minimum Qualifications:
- Masters Degree in Mathematics, Mathematics Education, or a related field with 18 graduate credit hours in math. Doctorate preferred. Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience providing student support and instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse learner profiles.
- Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends).
- Experience teaching algebra, calculus, and/or probability and statistics
- Doctorate Degree preferred
- Experience teaching Calculus
- Experience with distance education and distance learning students is preferred.
- Experience working with middle/high school students preferred but not required.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week.
Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends). This position will work the Tues-Saturday or Sun-Thursday schedule based on team need (6 hours/Sat or Sun and minimum of 2 evenings during the week).
Travel/Commute: works primarily from home within the continental United States but is available to travel to meetings as required.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
We are committed to diversity.
Related Jobs (110)
Assistant Registrar of Curriculum Alignment and Data Management I on August 3, 2022 Remote
Online Adjunct Faculty – Undergraduate Healthcare Administration on August 3, 2022 Remote