Job DescriptionEmbry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Worldwide announces an exciting opportunity in the Department of Online Education. The Instructional Designer I primary responsibility is the successful production of high-quality online courses. There is daily interaction with internal peers, course developers, media specialists, contractors, other IDD staff, the Executive Director of Instructional Design and Development, and the Directors of Instructional Design and Development. The position is responsible for the overall coordination of multiple online course development activities, serving as a program manager for online course production, updates, and maintenance.
The position requires superior critical thinking, strong interpersonal and communication skills, sharp time management skills, along with comfort working in a team environment and extensive knowledge on instructional design and online education. The Instructional Designer I must be able to navigate the higher education academic environment successfully.
Key job functions include:
- Collaborates with remote faculty to prepare high-quality online courses, for academic and non-credit delivery.
- Edits and organizes electronic information to create high-quality, adult learning oriented online course content.
- Coordinates the production and/or acquisition of instructional materials, including video, graphics, animations, and interactive media elements.
- In collaboration with faculty, produces instructional materials within the university’s Learning Management System (Canvas).
- Conducts quality assurance reviews of courses and other instructional materials.
- Implements established ERAU course development standards and policies and communicates those with other team members and faculty
- Works equally well in a team-based and individual context, as required by specific work demands.
- Monitors and communicates textbook issues affecting course development and implementation.
- Facilitates course approval process with academic department chairs upon completion of course development.
- Coordinates course review cycles and facilitates course redevelopments and updates.
- Coordinates project tasks and timeline to ensure timely execution of course production projects.
- If/when needed, engage with internal peers in the collaborative design and development of online courses and related projects.
- Encouraged (but not required) to engage in research projects with the goal of attending relevant conferences and training as well as performing presentations.
- Master’s degree in Online Education, Instructional Design and/or Educational Technology
- 3-5 years of work-related experience
Required skills, knowledge, abilities:
- Related and relevant experience in online education, particularly in post-secondary educational settings
- Expertise with software applications used in designing online learning experiences.
- Advanced critical thinking skills in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Exceptional project management skills.
- Ability to address multiple deadlines and balance multiple needs and perspectives in a professional manner.
- Excellent personal and remote communication skills.
- Ability to work professionally and collegially in a team environment.
- Problem-solving skills that include identification, analysis, and proactive solutions in support of University goals