The Director, Data Management has overall responsibility for the all biographical and demographic data in Columbia University’s database of record for alumni records and gifts.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage major Columbia University data and information assets, including the constituent database and CRM, and design and implement innovative technology solutions for improving the quality, accuracy, and scope of those assets.
- Provide direct supervision to the Data Management team and oversee the acquisition, input, maintenance, and integrity of all restricted and unrestricted data. Oversee data input and conduct regular audits to ensure consistency, quality, and integrity of data.
- Develop and oversee data integrity and information policy to ensure best practices in data management are implemented and followed by the Data Management team and all database users.
- Manage processes related to the transfer of data from various internal systems.
- Identify and partner with providers of data from external demographic data sources, including alumni directory publishers, and providers of web-based services dedicated to the maintenance of national and international postal mail and electronic mail address databases.
- Serve as key data governance resource for alumni relations and development, helping develop, shape, and document policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Partner with Columbia University’s various schools and units to understand their data management needs and, when appropriate, develop solutions to meet them.
- Liaise with key alumni relations and development partners, including Alumni Relations, Annual Fund Programs, Digital Marketing Initiatives, Gift Administration, Insights & Analytics, Prospect Development, and Technology, among others, to ensure the Data Management team’s priorities are in step with OAD’s campaign needs and marketing strategy.
- Oversee the Data Management team’s project tracking queue in Salesforce.
- Provide ad hoc project assistance, as required.
Bachelor’s degree required. Five (5) to seven (7) years of work experience, including managerial experience, is required. Demonstrated knowledge of relational database concepts is required. Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (advanced Excel), G Suite, and other common computer applications required. Excellent oral and interpersonal skills and strong project management and problem-solving skills. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a demanding environment. This position requires strong attention to detail and the ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information. Strong customer service skills and an exemplary attitude are required.
Advanced degree preferred. Proficiency in SQL, preferably in an Oracle (PL/SQL) environment, is preferred. Additional familiarity with fundraising database CRMs, especially Salesforce Advance, highly desirable. Knowledge of common practices in the fields of alumni relations and development preferred. Ability to conceptualize and develop proactive approaches to support organizational goals, including data mining, sophisticated constituent database queries, etc. preferred.
The successful candidate must be a strategic thinker, effective in moving strategic agendas, politically savvy, flexible in nature, and have a sound judgment with a collaborative style that fosters teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization. Must have a passion for excellent customer service, commitment to exceptional quality, and an ability to inspire colleagues toward accomplishing common objectives and goals. Ability to work efficiently in a virtual environment with off-site colleagues.
Subject to business needs, the Office of Alumni and Development supports remote and hybrid work arrangements for this position. Options will be discussed during the interview process.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Related Jobs (68)
Interactive Learning Content Developer – WGU Academy on September 24, 2022 Remote
Financial Aid Officer (Hybrid -2 days remote/temp-hire) on September 24, 2022 Remote