Business Intelligence Specialist
Administrative Information Technology Services (AITS)
University of Illinois System- Urbana
The System Office seeks a Business Intelligence Specialist to develop and maintain business intelligence solutions for the University. This includes, providing expertise to project teams, hands-on development in business intelligence applications, technical troubleshooting, complex report development and standard report administration. Someone in this position must have a strong understanding of Business Intelligence capabilities and a Data Warehouse environment. Remote or hybrid work arrangement for position will be considered based on skills and experience.
Additional responsibilities include:
1. Use sound judgment, technical expertise and understanding of information needs to develop, test and implement business intelligence (BI) solutions that match the needs of University personnel.
2. Actively participate in development and upgrade projects, working with project team members to determine conceptual solution design; analyzing existing BI products, data structures, reports, and data visualizations.
3. Lead business intelligence solution design efforts by participating in data model walkthroughs, developing and maintaining procedures, and participating in performance and tuning testing.
4. Provide expertise in data visualization and related design techniques; Understand and communicate data visualization capabilities; Lead design sessions for dashboards while understanding the different means of acquiring data for a dashboard (direct DB query, extracts, etc.) and recommend the best data acquisition solution for the development of a dashboard.
5. Maintain and support existing business intelligence solutions by answering staff questions, troubleshooting problems, modifying existing products, and maintaining policies, procedures, and documentation.
6. Interact with a variety of business, data and information technology personnel to develop effective BI solutions.
7. Develop and maintain procedures related to the scheduling and automation of enterprise standard reports.
8. Maintain knowledge of industry standard BI development practices (report development, data analysis, data visualization and interaction) and apply that expertise to plan, design, and develop BI solutions.
9. Provide input and support for upgrades, capacity planning, and best practices.
10. Participate in the production on-call support rotation schedule for report processing and completion and provide non-business hour support, as required.
11. Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
1. Any combination totaling three (3) years from the following categories: A. progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession B. college course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:- 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one (1) year- 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals two (2) years
2. One (1) year of hands-on experience in developing Business Intelligence solutions.
1. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
2. Experience reporting tools using a tool such as SAP Business Objects, specializing in universe design and report development
3. Experience developing interactive dashboards using a tool such as Tableau.
4. Experience building Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) solutions.
5. Experience in a higher education environment.
6. Experience in enterprise standard report development.
7. Experience using tools such as TOAD, SAS and SQL Server.
8. Experience in enterprise standard report development.
9. Experience with Enterprise Job Scheduling tools such as Automic.
10. Experience with Web Design
11. Experience with W3C, State of Illinois, University of Illinois, and ADA standards
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Proficiency in a database query language such as SQL.
2. Demonstrated understanding of business intelligence/data warehousing concepts.
3. Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve complex problems.
4. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
5. Detail orientated and demonstrated organizational skills and thoroughness
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service IT Technical Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after May 25, 2022. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by May 25, 2022. Apply for this position by going to http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload the following documents:
· cover letter
· resume (months and years of employment and education information must be included)
· names/contact information for three references
· OPTIONAL: academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or copy of diploma is acceptable). Academic credentials are verified at the time of hire.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position by going to http://jobs.illinois.edu. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Elizabeth Cropper at firstname.lastname@example.org For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
Related Jobs (105)
Part Time Faculty Support and Communications Facilitator on May 17, 2022 Remote