The Art Director works closely with the Executive Director of Creative Strategy to sustain and grow Ithaca College’s brand, ensuring a cohesive visual identity and strategic orientation throughout all initiatives and projects. In addition to identifying new strategic creative opportunities, the Art Director is responsible for day-to-day functioning of design development and production, including ideation, conceptualizing, assigning, reviewing, and tracking work.
The Art Director, with collaboration from the larger Creative team, must be able to concept and produce for all design initiatives, channels, and mediums to effectively reach the college’s key audiences. The position requires close collaboration with all members of the marketing and communications department as well as our campus partners to develop on-brand, compelling, cohesive, and effective work. The Art Director supervises our in-house graphic designer as well as a team of freelance graphic designers. Critical for this role: a strong background in graphic design, understanding and capacity to create visual systems and fervent attention to detail.
- Concept, oversee and implement design direction to ensure work maintains cohesive visual brand throughout all platforms and channels, from magazine covers and features to social media campaigns.
- Art direction – Provide constructive feedback on all aspects of the visual brand, regardless of the channel or medium.
- Conceive and produce intelligent, inspiring design systems that are creative and effective. Work alongside the Executive Director of Creative Strategy to define, solidify, refine, and evolve the IC brand and visual identity among key audiences.
- Collaborate with marketing, copywriters, multimedia, social media and digital teams to maintain and evolve a cohesive, on-brand visual identity.
- Assure creative work adheres to the college brand and visual guidelines. Communicate Ithaca College visual identity standards to the college community as needed, including how to apply branding guidelines. Review materials for consistency and provide feedback to campus partners as needed.
- Collaborate with partners on design initiatives and projects. Preside over, attend, and organize meetings with campus partners and our larger department to set direction for our design programs and initiatives. Work with the Executive Director to organize, design, and lead design pitches and presentations to campus partners
- Direct day to day functioning of design work. Provide training, mentorship and guidance to design staff. Manage workloads of in-house and freelance designers.
- Ensure design meets objectives by actively tracking all aspects of design work, both in house and outsourced, for accurate reporting and forecasting.
- Work in collaboration to prioritize projects, manage schedules for production and designers. Liaison with freelancers and vendors to ensure the work is produced at the desired quality, on time, and on budget.
- Check the quality of creative output in all mediums, troubleshoots, and collaborates on solutions for improvement.
- Work with the team to plan and implement the annual calendar of activities and design forecasting. Actively participate in planning and identify new opportunities for design initiatives.
- Hire, collaborate with, and direct vendors and freelancers on design initiatives.
- Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to the creation of an inclusive, diverse, and respectful community. Engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- Strong background in graphic design, understanding of and ability to create visual systems and an in-depth knowledge of design concepts, both print and electronic composition
- Capacity to concept, work with writers and connect the verbal and visual in compelling ways
- Ability to consult and provide constructive feedback around multiple projects efficiently and on deadline
- Robust typographic skills
- Ability to manage projects – Solid understanding of timelines for all phases of a creative project. Ability to advise on proposed schedules for design projects.
- Attention to detail, especially with quality control checks for the work (particularly print/colors).
- Understands and interprets audience needs and wants, marketing goals, messaging points, and desired tone; integrates this guiding information into the work produced.
- Keeps current on design trends, technology, and platforms; considers how and when it would be beneficial to experiment and integrate them into specific deliverables and/or the visual brand.
- Enthusiasm for creating visual narratives.
- Ability to facilitate brainstorming and ideation
- Bachelor’s degree in the arts, graphic design or related field (or 4 years of progressively demanding work in the field) and minimum of 6 years of experience working on a robust marketing or creative team
- Portfolio displaying strong skills in conceptualizing, developing high-quality visuals, and a keen understanding of user-centric design approach to marketing and branding in all mediums
- Proven experience as a sophisticated creative/critical thinker and problem-solver
- Experience building/creating extensive visual brand guides
- Experience art directing photoshoots
- Solid working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud
- Proven supervisory and management abilities preferred
- Experience with programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Experience with using a project management system.
Most of the work of the incumbent is carried out within a generally accessible, safe, indoor environment, with the availability of remote work as well. The incumbent will be required to operate a personal computer and associated programs and equipment such as a computer printer as well as other office equipment used in the day-to-day office operations. The incumbent will be required to attend various functions, activities, meetings, workshops or conferences during and after normal business hours. The incumbent may need to visit other on and off campus offices or work sites, and may need to travel to and from various locations to attend meetings, workshops or seminars requiring the ability to walk, drive or make other appropriate transportation arrangements.
HIRING RANGE: $65,000 – $71,000
ABOUT ITHACA COLLEGE
As an employee at Ithaca College, you’ll get much more than a competitive salary and the traditional advantages. We pride ourselves on providing our benefit-eligible employees with the most comprehensive benefits possible, including work/life balance, generous paid time off policies, career-enhancing trainings, employee and dependent tuition assistance, and opportunities to give back to the community. Beyond benefits, you’ll enjoy the kind of uniquely rewarding work environment that can only be found in a vibrant college community.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, portfolio, and list of three professional references.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Related Jobs (109)
Assistant Registrar of Curriculum Alignment and Data Management I on August 3, 2022 Remote
Online Adjunct Faculty – Undergraduate Healthcare Administration on August 3, 2022 Remote