Position Title: Adjunct Instructor of Teaching English as a Second Language
Duty Station: Online
Reports To: Director of Academy
No. of Position: 6 Positions
Vacancy Number: AF-Int-09-2022
Position Announcement close date: July 15, 2022
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
AUAF is seeking qualified candidates for the part time position of Adjunct Instructor of Teaching English as a Second Language.
This appointment is a part-time faculty position. Teaching responsibilities include intermediate and advanced level English language courses, writing, reading, and grammar.
Key outcomes include:
⮚ International quality teaching and learning
⮚ Scholarship that benefits student learning and the mission of the university
⮚ Advancement of the university through service
Duties and Responsibilities
Faculty fulfill the roles and responsibilities described in the Faculty Handbook and university policies and procedures that detail specific faculty duties. Major responsibilities are listed below.
With the exception of holidays, university closures, weekends, and other breaks, faculty are expected to be working during the base contract period. The base contract period refers to a semester or academic year consisting of two semesters, including pre- and post-semester faculty workshops and advising. The contractual period extends from one week before the start of the first semester to one day after spring graduation.
Teaching and Mentoring
● Teach up to two pre-university non-credit courses (12-15 contact hours) per semester, evaluating student work and assessing student learning outcomes.
● Participate in weekly team meetings.
● Hold regular office hours and work with individual students, acting as academic mentors.
● Remain engaged and current in the field.
● Assist in orientation and test administration.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
· Understanding of, and commitment to the comprehensive university mission.
· Commitment to fostering an engaging learning environment for Afghan students.
· Flexibility for teaching courses offered online.
· Instructional expertise to deliver instruction for 21st century learners and assess student learning outcomes as appropriate to ensure academic quality.
· Facility with a range of teaching and learning strategies to foster active learning and student success, which contributes to the fulfillment of the AUAF strategic goals.
· Willingness to participate in activities at division and university level.
· Sensitivity to and understanding of the academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of the Afghan students.
⮚ MA or PhD in TESOL or PhD in Education with TESL certification.
⮚ Minimum of five (5) years teaching experience teaching in western higher education and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
⮚ Excellent oral and written English skills.
⮚ Experience teaching in international, multicultural, developing and/or post-conflict settings preferred.
⮚ Ability to work in a team.
⮚ A strong sense of values and ethics, consistent with the mandate of the American University of Afghanistan.
⮚ Demonstrated experience with Canvas, AUAF’s learning management system
To apply for this position, please send as a single PDF document which includes: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), and contact information for three references to email@example.com . Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include AF-Int-09-2022- Adjunct Instructor of Teaching English as a Second Language in the subject line of the e-mail. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees. AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants. AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Related Jobs (109)
Assistant Registrar of Curriculum Alignment and Data Management I on August 3, 2022 Remote
Online Adjunct Faculty – Undergraduate Healthcare Administration on August 3, 2022 Remote