Position Title: Adjunct Instructor of Social Sciences and Humanities Division -POL/PAD
Duty Station: Online
Reports To: Chair of the Social Sciences and Humanities Division
No. of Position: 3 Positions
Vacancy Number: AF-Int-08-2022
Position Announcement close date: July 5, 2022
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
AUAF is seeking qualified candidates for the part time position of Adjunct Instructor of Social Sciences and Humanities Division -POL/PAD.
The Department of Political Science and Public Administration (POL/PAD), within the Division of Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH), at the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is accepting applications for Adjunct Instructor of Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) POL/PAD. Applicants with previous teaching experience at university level are welcome to apply. As the language of instruction at AUAF is English, all candidates must have excellent English language communication skills. This is a contractual adjunct position for one semester. It is renewable semester-to-semester upon mutual agreement and availability of courses. The selected candidate will be required to teach one or more courses in SSH at undergraduate level.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote the philosophy, mission and vision of AUAF.
- Provide engaging, enthusiastic and student-centered teaching to Afghan students.
- Establish a professional classroom atmosphere that encourages mutual respect.
- Contribute to a collegial, collaborative and positive attitude to the university campus.
- Understand and convey the essentials of the course discipline that students should master.
- Maintain high academic standards while demonstrating equitability and fairness.
- Work successfully and productively in a team environment with other faculty.
- Perform the necessary duties of an instructor to ensure quality instruction.
- Establish productive and supportive communication with students.
- Prepare and comply with the course syllabus following the university-approved format and course content.
- Be organized and conduct classes in accordance with the published class schedule.
- Evaluate student progress through regularly scheduled assessments/exams.
- Promptly return graded work to students and maintain student grade records.
- Hold regular office hours.
- Remain engaged and updated in the academic profession and in the discipline.
- Advise students as appropriate.
- Perform the necessary duties of an Adjunct Instructor to ensure quality instruction.
- Maintain competency.
- Maintain standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position and the institution.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Understanding of, and commitment to the comprehensive university mission.
- Commitment to fostering an engaging learning environment for Afghan students.
- Flexibility for teaching courses offered online.
- Instructional expertise to deliver instruction for 21st century learners and assess student learning outcomes as appropriate to ensure academic quality.
- Facility with a range of teaching and learning strategies to foster active learning and student success, which contributes to the fulfillment of the AUAF strategic goals.
- Willingness to participate in activities at division and university level.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of the Afghan students.
- At least a master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Public Administration or related fields.
- Three years of experience in higher education teaching
- An equivalent combination of education and/or work experience from which comparable knowledge.
- Successful experience of knowledge of administration in an academic and professional environment.
- Knowledge of and ability to follow University policies and procedures
- International experience is desired.
- International certifications is preferred.
To apply for this position, please send as a single PDF document which includes: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), and contact information for three references to email@example.com . Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please include AF-Int-08-2022- Adjunct Instructor of Social Sciences and Humanities Division -POL/PADin the subject line of the e-mail. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees. AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants. AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Related Jobs (13)
Director, Advancement Marketing & Communications – WGU Advancement on June 24, 2022 Remote