Job Type: Full time
Job Number: JR-008171
Location: Home Office
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Current WGU employees must submit an internal application before 08/24/2021 to be considered.
As an Accessibility Specialist, your primary responsibility is to aid in the selection of accessible 3rd party products by evaluating them against WCAG 2.x success criteria and performing user experience testing. You will communicate evaluation results to WGU stakeholders and provide vendors a suggested remediation plan. You will also evaluate WGU products and platforms. Your secondary responsibilities are to review internally and externally created course and assessment content, consult on challenging accessibility barriers, provide coaching for WGU staff and vendors, and assist with researching accessibility innovations and technologies. You will primarily engage with others in an online setting.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate 3rd party products for conformance with WCAG 2.1 AA in addition to user experience testing
- Create a remediation plan for 3rd party products
- Prepare evaluation documentation for communication with WGU stakeholders and vendors
- Identify and suggest solutions for accessibility barriers in course and assessment content
- Identify and suggest solutions for accessibility issues within WGU platforms and websites
- Research accessibility industry trends, innovations, and solutions
- Maintain knowledge of accessibility-related standards, laws, and management strategies
- Coach colleagues and vendors in one on one or small group environments
- Consult with colleagues and vendors for solving challenging accessibility barriers
- Develop and document team processes and procedure
- Assist with the research, development, and maintenance of the accessibility evaluation methodology
- Assist with the training and mentoring of new team members
- Network with accessibility industry professionals
- Review vendor created content against accessibility acceptance criteria.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Ability to confidently navigate multiple environments in one screen reader and understand how a screen reader interacts with user agent elements
- Understand how various types of disabilities experience digital environments and how to design accessible digital spaces
- Ability to accurately collect data and analyze it to identify areas of process and performance improvement
- Ability to understand and explain technical and user experience issues in simple and concise language
- Ability to research complex topics and find answers to questions independently
- Ability to work on team projects under the direction of senior team members
- Ability to study and comprehend complex technical documentation (WCAG 2.x AA, Section 508)
- Self-initiative and self-motivation
- Ability to self-manage daily tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently without supervision, and as part of a team
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects at a time
- BS degree in technology field and 2+ years of related experience or 4+ years related experience
- IAAP Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies (CPACC)
- Intermediate knowledge of Section 508 and VPATs
- This full-time position would work remotely from home, with a traditional schedule.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
We are committed to diversity.
Related Jobs (19)
Mathematical Statistics Practice Question Writer (Contract) on November 11, 2021 Part Time Remote
Clinical Instructor-PMHNP(Eligible for $2,500 sign on Bonus) on November 11, 2021 Part Time Remote